Monday, March 14, 2005

savetoby.com or not

OK so I came on bobparson's blog today. It seems that some guy has decided to put the fate of a rabbit in the hands of the internet. 50 grand before the end of June or the rabbit gets it and I eat it. I don't really care one way or another except that PayPal took down his donate here account presumably because of pressure from animal rights groups.

First how does that save the rabbit?
Second unless he is doing something illegal that is censorship. While I'm not really concerned about the fate of an animal which is used as food around the world, I am concerned about some basic freedoms which seem to be taking something of a beating these days.

It's important that we are able to express ourselves even though it may be offensive to others. I'm not a big fan of a lot of extreme groups on both sides of the political spectrum but it is important that they are heard or at least allowed to be heard. Personally I just don't listen to most of them.

PayPal can do what it wants but I for one would prefer to know that it will not close down my account just because I'm doing something that someone else doesn't agree with.

There are some really heinous groups out there some of which could well ask for money to do something that is illegal. But killing a rabbit for food is not illegal.

On another note, when I went to the site it took a long time to load. It may well just crash under it's own weight, as more and more people go to see it. So if you are curious go see it. If you are against it go see it, too, cause it turns out that on the internet there is sometimes to much of a good thing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a joke--check out www.snopes.com for more info on the prank.

Schuyler said...

Joke or not, I gues we'll find out at the end of June, at least you could have included the url of the snopes article. It is http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/savetoby.asp

Schuyler said...

Well it looks like Toby's owner totally wussed out. He has put the deadline back to November 30, 2006.